We are the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, and WooCommerce. We are looking for someone to help us develop, build, and maintain our growing global network infrastructure – currently serving customers from 28 locations on 6 continents.
At Automattic, we operate our own global anycast CDN and origin datacenters at 28 locations. We utilize scripting to automate the interactions with our network infrastructure, primarily in Python. We monitor and optimize network routing performance from each datacenter on an ongoing basis. We utilize strategic BGP peering, routing policies, and community tagging to steer requests from other networks to the closest POP for the lowest latency. We design and operate our network with a target of 100% uptime for our customers, including scheduled maintenances.
You can view our anycast performance in real-time at https://ac-map.automattic.com - each color represents a data center. You can also check out some of our work with open-source tool Elasticsearch here: https://developer.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/open-source-netflow-with-elastic-logstash-kibana.
If you are passionate about network performance and uptime, network scripting, and network automation, we want to hear from you!
Experience we look for:
- At least three years of related experience in a large-scale network engineering operations multi-vendor environment.
- Automating network administration using Python, or another high-level scripting language.
- Comfortable working in a Linux/Unix environment.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP stack, application protocols (DHCP/DNS/HTTPs) and networking concepts (VRRP/VLANs/High Availability/Load Balancing/BGP/IGP/ECMP).
- Operation experience working on IP networking technologies, routers, switches, and the application of routing protocols. (OSPF, BGP, MPLS, RSVP, LDP).
- Network troubleshooting on complex internet routing problems, both internal and external.
- Experience with configuring and operating open source tools for network automation, metric collecting, log collecting, and visualizations.
- Experience with internet routing, eBGP peer relationships, routing policies, and traffic engineering.
- Advanced / expert level traceroute/MTR/tcptraceroute/iperf/tcpdump skills.
- Experience with collecting network metrics using SNMP and streaming telemetry.