WattTime is a nonprofit with software tech startup DNA, dedicated to giving everyone everywhere the power to choose clean energy. We invented Automated Emissions Reduction (AER), which allows IoT device companies, energy storage companies, electric utilities, and their customers to effortlessly reduce emissions from electricity. Our cutting-edge machine learning algorithms and insights can shift the timing of flexible electricity use to sync with times of cleaner energy, slashing pollution. Our sales-boosting SaaS solution sits at the precipice of an enormous market tipping point for IoT: 20B IoT devices expected on the market by 2020 (Gartner); and global annual revenue from residential IoT device sales expected to increase to $167.2 billion in 2027 (Navigant). With WattTime, up to 70% of electricity demand in the U.S. is flexible and can be optimized to reduce emissions, all of which can be instantly rendered green and more marketable with a single software update. We sell solutions that make it easy for anyone to achieve emissions reductions without compromising cost and user experience. WattTime was founded in 2014 by PhD students at UC Berkeley, and in 2017 became a subsidiary of Rocky Mountain Institute.
As the Sales Principal, your primary responsibility will be generating and closing new business opportunities for our unique cleantech SaaS solution. You will work with the rest of the business development team to choose your own sales territory/segment. But you’re not starting from scratch. You’re joining a successful, motivated business development team that boasts an impressive current customer list. We’re looking for you to demonstrate and coach the rigorous best-in-class sales methodology you’ve employed to achieve your current successes, as you close our next series of significant deals.
You’ll manage the sales cycle from identification through to close, staying vigilant and responsive to your active and incoming leads and enhancing our team’s sales process.
We see our customers as partners and you’ll build relationships that result in them also becoming evangelists of our Automated Emissions Reduction (AER) solution. You’ll leverage your experience as a sales professional to grow our business and impact in ways that are rewarding and meaningful.
You’re a stellar listener and communicator and passionate about your craft. You have a bias for action and you’re invested in team success. You operate with a growth mindset, an entrepreneurial attitude, the desire and ability to work in a startup environment. Perhaps most importantly, you value our mission to give everyone everywhere the power to choose clean energy.
The potential upside for our organization is large and we want your help getting there. We invented and currently offer the only solution to time IoT devices to use energy when power grids are cleaner. Yet it’s an effortless, ultra-low-cost technique to not only reduce emissions but also to boost sales. In one study, a WattTime customer who adopted AER immediately saw a lasting 10% boost in sales. In another, devices that added AER began outselling their competitors at 2:1 margin.
ABOUT THE WORK
- Turn high-potential prospects into customers, specifically within IoT device and utility Demand Response program markets
- Identify and cultivate an active, robust pipeline to achieve significant growth targets consistent with strategic plans
- Manage the sales cycle from lead identification through to close (eg. conduct qualification calls, build relationships and overcome objections with diverse stakeholders, draft proposals, maintaining details of pipeline and relationships in Pipedrive CRM, etc.)
- Operate with a relationship-based best in class sales methodology, (i.e. MEDDIC, Miller Heiman)
- Accurately evaluate and prioritize customer prospects and predicted results
- Collaborate with team members on articulating offerings, best practices and approach to ensure a consistent, positive customer experience, data-driven business development strategy and positive team culture
- Extensive external engagement through direct client meetings and speaking at conferences
- Contribute to and enhance sales resources - pitch presentations, proposal templates, etc.
- Based in Oakland, CA with possibility of remote work
- Travel to customer locations required
- Proven, verifiable track record of success in cultivating, negotiating and closing mid to large enterprise B2B contracts
- 3-5 years of experience working in a complex sales environment, where multiple people are involved in the purchasing decision and there is a solution based selling approach
- Ability to carry on a business conversation with business owners and decision makers
- Ability to work independently and successfully manage time and territory
- Ability to understand product development and business operations decision cycles
- Experience in the energy and/or tech sector highly valued
- Highly-motivated, collaborative, action-oriented, confident, and respectful
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to manage ambiguity
- Experience or interest in working within a tech start-up, evolving as organization grows
- BA or BS degree desired, perhaps in business and/or finance
WORKING AT WATTTIME
We are practical, results-driven change makers. We believe nothing has more potential for fast, world-changing impact than software. We embrace change. We are lean and rapid prototypers. We never confuse mere growth with real impact. We are all personally, fiercely committed to our mission. We are quietly radical in unexpected ways. We have allies, not competitors. We trust in data and everyone’s voice being heard. We know diversity is central to success. We consider respect non-negotiable: there are no jerks here.
We offer competitive benefits and professional development opportunities.
Unlike most start-ups, our team is backed by a host of more than 200 volunteers who contributed to our founding and are happy to support us in terms of advice, networking and perspective. We also sit within the RMI family which brings additional upside in terms of robust benefits, support, industry connections and credibility.
WattTime is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, gender, disability, or sexual orientation or classification.